Myspace Marquee Text - http://www.marqueetextlive.com

Reflections

on Wednesday, February 25, 2009

As I reflect on my teaching through the years of my experiences,I realised that I have improved in my teaching skills.As I gained experiences through the years,I started to know the needs of my students and those parts of the content which is difficult for them to grasp.

As for me, my method of teaching would be to simplifie the concept by using analogies that relates to daily life as students are able to understand better.Besides analogies,I use animation and simulations like the coursewares to help them to picture the concepts better.I conduct lectures,tutorials and also practicals. As for lectures, it is a more teacher centered learning and a one way communication process although there are question and answer sessions.Lectures are more towards delivering the content.This is where I really prepare myself as it is truly important because it's where the students are gaining or receiving the content knowledge for the first time.As for me, I have question and answer sessions as well as pop quizes to ensure that the students understood the concept as well as doing their revisions.

As for tutorials,it is more of empowering whereby students have to answer the tutorial questions.In tutorials students are able to freely communicate with the teachers and mostly there is a two way communication.As for me I conduct my tutorials using different approaches such as group discussions and presentations.This is where I am able to evaluate how well the student has understood the concept being taught during lecture.

As for practicals,students test the theories that had been taught to them.I allow students to explore the experiments according to the procedures and help them to relate to their prior knowledge of the theories that had been taught to them.


As a whole,being able to leave a footprint behind,where the students are able to appreciate my teaching and knowledge I taught them to be successful in life.

Here is one short story that inspires me

A Teacher's Influence

A women attended her 20-year high school reunion.There she encountered her freshman-year art teacher.She told him that she decided to go to college as aresult of his inspiration,and that she was an art professor,now,at a large state university.

At the end of the evening's festivities,the teacher searched out his former student,shook her hand and said,

"Thank you for saying those nice things about my teaching.You've really made my day."

"You're welcome,"said the woman as she hugged him."But let me thank you-you've made my life!"

Author Unknown